Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bacon, Potato and Split Pea Soup with Grilled Cheese and Spinach Quesadillas and Salad

For the soup:

1 pound Split Green Peas
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1/2 - 1 onion, chopped
1-3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 cups water
Chicken bouillon
Chopped garlic
salt, pepper, rosemary




In a large dutch oven over medium heat, place a swirl of oil and the chopped bacon.  Cook until almost done, then add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is soft.



Remove the bacon and onion from the pan and dump out the bacon grease.  I drained the bacon and onion on a paper towel.



Put it back in the pot and add the split peas...


...water, bouillon, garlic, potatoes, pepper and rosemary.


Bring to a boil and cover and let simmer a half hour or so...



...until the split peas and potatoes are soft and the whole house smells awesome.


At this point, you can blend the soup to create a creamy consistency.  That's what I started to do, but I realized I wanted it semi chunky.


Adjust the seasonings before serving.

Grilled Cheese and Spinach Quesadillas

It's pretty self explanatory, but I thought I'd post pictures anyway.





Btw, I picked up this cast iron skillet at a yard sale a couple of years ago for only $1.00!  






0 comments: