Monday, March 3, 2014

Chicken Fajitas and Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan

One or more of my ancestors must be of Spanish descent because I absolutely love chilies, jalapenos, cilantro, cumin...and all that good stuff.  I can't get enough of it!  Here's how I made chicken fajitas:




Yesterday, I started marinating the chicken.  I mixed lime juice, olive oil, cumin, garlic, chili powder, chopped fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and a half of a jalapeno in a bowl and marinated the chicken breasts overnight.


About an hour before I was ready to cook, I took out the chicken to bring it to room temp and sliced it against the grain.  I cooked in in a splash of oil in batches.


While the chicken was cooking, I sliced up an onion, the other half of the jalapeno and bell peppers.


It was just us three, so we only needed half of the chicken.  I wanted to cook it all so I would have a second dinner ready on the fly.  You know the saying, "Cook once - eat twice".



I love these Pyrex containers almost as much as I love Rubbermaid.  I use Crayola Dry Erase crayons to write on the lid.  It's much easier than guessing what's inside and having to serve 'Mystery Meat'.



It washes right off.  I always like to put the date on as well.

Anyhoo, after the chicken is seared (it only takes about 5 minutes on med-high heat), it's time for the peppers and onions.  Maggie doesn't really care for tomatoes, and I don't like them much either so I leave them out but you could quarter some up and put them in after the peppers cook down a bit.



I actually like my fajita veggies almost burnt, but this isn't all just for me so I had to make them 'normal'.


While the veggies were cooking, I drizzled olive oil and freshly ground pepper over fresh asparagus spears and put them in the oven.  After they roasted a bit, I sprinkled them with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  A very wise person once said, "You can never have enough cheese", and I live by that quote.


I like to do a buffet-style set up because my dining table is very small...too small to put all the food on it AND eat comfortably.  
I served it all with my homemade cilantro-lime sour cream, shredded spinach and of course- lots of shredded sharp cheddar because, well, "You can never have enough cheese".


This is kind of difficult to photograph me making dinners every night.  It's also time consuming.  Maybe I'll resort to videotaping them instead.  What do you think?  Please let me know in the comments.

0 comments: